Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Brothers & Sisters Part Deux

There hasn’t been a day since Mason’s birth that he hasn’t been the most well behaved child in the family. He’s cranky at times, and extremely high maintenance, but almost always easy to get along with.

His older brother and sister could learn a thing or three. Lately, they have been getting along like matches and gasoline. It’s made me identify closely with the Koi fish.

They’ve been known to eat their young.

Animal experts say because the Koi can never pass up a tasty treat. I secretly believe those tiny Koi babies were driving mommy & daddy Koi absolutely bonkers.

I have no doubts I share partial blame for their inability to get along with one another. Kyler shuffles between our home and his father’s home a few nights a week, so finding time to balance with him can be a real challenge. Claire-Marie and her social calendar of playdates, and karate class make it difficult with her as well.

I was at my brother’s house helping him move a couch this evening. Their new Chihuahua started barking (surprising that dog that small can make so much noise). I spied the new bark collar that they had purchased wondering how humane it was.

I was dying to know.

I dared my brother to put it on and administer himself a shock.

He declined and in turned double dog dared me to try. I'm not one of those types that does anything that someone dares me to do, or even double and/or triple dog dares when such a dare is thrown down. But I still had to know.

I was scared.

I held the bark collar up to my throat and barked. (why I chose to actually bark is yet unknown to me… a simple yell would’ve sufficed but I was living in the moment)

It shocked me. Not hard mind you, but it made me think it would cure the shouting matches around here if it got that bad.

More likely, Rashele would fit me with one so I couldn’t raise my voice when Ms. Matches and Mr. Gasoline go at it.

No comments: