Monday, April 21, 2008

NUTS!!!

A lesson in allergies..

As you may recall a few posts ago I mentioned Mason going thru some testing for all sorts of allergies, food, seasonal, animal etc.

The test provided some crucial data to us and identified some items we long suspected throwing some sort of internal chaos through Mason’s skinny little body.

In addition, we, much like Matt Usey and his assortment of hair care products, (Matt has nice hair) have made an effort to “green” things up around our household. Gone are all household cleaners, cleansers, soaps, detergents and spray bottles.

We figured if we’re going to make an attempt to get his internal processes running smoother by changing external influences, we’d better do it right and get out ANYTHING that might be toxic.

We find ourselves,…(A lot of times when I saw “we” I mean Rashele, something I’m working on) now scouring the ingredients of every item that Mason eats to make sure it’s peanut free, rice free, and egg free. Not an easy task.

Last week Rashele and Mason went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch, one of Mason’s first choices of places to eat. When Mason wants protein, he gets it. I’d grill him up a bacon wrapped filet mignon if he asked.

Later that night, or early the next morning around 2am, Mason as he often does came into our bedroom and whimpering and somewhat demanding to sleep in our bed. Rashele (the lucky one) slept in his bed the remainder of the night, while I was subjected to a whiny, uncomfortable, half asleep, grumpy and kicking 45lb boy. I’m amazed how much room he is capable of taking up on a queen size bed.

I could tell he wasn’t feeling well and something internal was going on.

By accident the following day I found the reason for his inability to sleep that previous night….. Chik-Fil-A. It was during a discussion with a coworker regarding peanut allergies and subject of Chik-Fil-A came up. She told me that they cook their beloved and tasty chicken nuggets in peanut oil.

After consulting their website I confirmed it to be true.

DOH! No wonder he couldn’t sleep.

No comments: