Monday, March 31, 2008

I Hear The Secrets That You Keep, When You're Talking In Your Sleep

When you close your eyes And go to sleep
And it's down to the soundOf a heartbeat
I can hear the things That you're dreamin' about
When you open up your heartAnd the truth comes out


Romantics fans rejoice!... yeah I discovered my love for music in the 80’s. I still remember the music video.

Mason, Rashele and I have both noticed, has had an explosion of language these past few weeks. He’s becoming less echolalic and more expressive in communicating his needs and feelings.

I’m sad

I’m angry

I want to play Super Mario Galaxy

I want 20 Oreos please

These are all phrases we hear multiple times a day and we love it. It’s the progress we’ve been patiently waiting for, for a very long time.

He talks 24 hours a day. Even when sleeping.

As I’ve probably mentioned before, Mason has never been a “good” sleeper. He’s had some serious issues since birth, and along with him, Rashele and I have paid the price. He was regularly congested during the afternoon/evening hours and his breathing, specifically through his nose was negatively affected. And because of sensory issues he refuses to pick his own nose, so we get to go digging for gold for him. ( I will praise him on the day he pulls out a big boogar on his own, it’s gross I know, but true.) None of us have slept an entire night, save the rare occasion, for nearly 5 years.

Since our allergist visit a few weeks ago, and being prescribed Allegra, and Nasonex, he’s been sleeping much sounder and breathing much better throughout the night.

While he’s still not sleeping 100% through the night, it’s the closest we’ve been in a very long time.

He’s still “active” at night and talks quite a bit; we can hear him late at night and early into the morning hours, completely asleep, but actively talking through his dreams. Often talking about Mario, or being tickled by his brother and sister, or going to his Aunt Dasha’s house. Other times a defiant NO! or cry as he navigates his way through a bad dream.


Day or Night, we’re thankful for what speech we have and hope to build on it.

No comments: