Monday, February 18, 2008

Wii Are Family

We scored the most coveted Christmas present this year. We tried for months last year to get a Wii and we were never in the right place at the right time. Our resolution was to have friends call us if they ever saw one in stock somewhere. As luck would have it, one night last October one of Rashele’s friends spotted a fresh shipment of Wii’s at a Target across town. He called us, bought it for us, and we promptly paid him the following day.

And it sat in our closet until Christmas. It was the longest 60+ days of my life. I do not consider myself a “gamer” but I do enjoy some down time playing when I can afford the extra time.

Mason LIVES for the Wii, but he doesn’t play it. He just enjoys watching all of us play. I’ve tried to teach him the intricacies of pushing the buttons in the proper order, but it’s a bit of a challenge for him.

Thus far it has been a tremendous family gift. We play it daily once house business is taken care of, and our two older children, Kyler and Claire-Marie enjoy some mild trash talking to Rashele and I when we all compete head to head.

It’s been great family bonding time. But the greatest moment of us having it occurred last week.

I was at the kitchen table, pounding away on my laptop. Rashele was in the living room folding laundry.

Kyler and Claire-Marie were sitting on the couch nearby watching TV.

Mason walked into the room, straight up to Kyler, looked him directly in the eye and said “Kyler, will you play Super Mario Galaxy please?”

We were floored.

Completely unsolicited speech.

From time to time we see these flashes of typical behavior and they’re always a welcome break from the norm.

Priceless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. My 2 year old was just Dx moderate ASD and we are thinking of getting the Wii... thank you for the perspective

Anonymous said...

we were just thinking the same thing about our daughter Carmen, each flash of 'that little girl' make me so proud/happy/filled/loved - ah those momments! totally floored.
anyway, I goggled *autism and wii* and your blog came up and I didn't expect to be so moved.
thank you

Lana said...

I work with spectrum kids and one just started Wii therapy- but like your son, hasn't gotten the hang of it- he LOVES to watch though. While this particular boy doesn't speak, he signs, and your post just gave me an idea of how to use his interest in the Wii to help his relationship with his brother- which was not the original intent, but as I'm sure you know- sometimes you have to work with what you're given. Thank you.